Every four years Americans go to the polls to elect their President. The campaign for President is steeped in tradition, combining ritual, celebration, marketing and bombast, all leading up to Election Day when citizens enter the voting booth to exercise their solemn right to choose their leaders. The President and Vice President are the only officials chosen by all the nation’s voters. The stakes are high, and the election results shape the course of the nation for the next four years.
This exhibition examines Presidential elections, with a particular emphasis on elections in the last 80 years when radio and television brought these campaigns into the living rooms of homes across America.
- The Prize: The Power of the Presidency
- The Candidates: Party Conventions
- The Chase: Political Campaigning
- The Image: Marketing the Candidates
- The Choice: Election Day
- The Coronation: Inaugurating the President